Hebrew Hill Marker - Ann Stanton - South Dakota Jewish Historian
Gold was first discovered by soldiers under Gen. George Custer in the Black Hills of the Dakota Territory in 1876.Gold was an explosive allure to frontiersman and fortune seeking gold miners who created rough, and frequently violent gold mining boom towns.Deadwood was just such a boom town when Jewish miners and Jewish merchants moved to the gulch helping to settle the town and “civilize” the community alongside their Christian neighbors.
Marker 1, of three in Deadwood, was dedicated April 1, 2005.It is located in Mt. MoriahCemetery near the gravesites ofWild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane and Potato Creek Johnny.
Click to Enlarge Text
Ann Stanton, S. Dakota Jewish Historian, Jerry Klinger - JASHP, Mary Kopco - Adams Museum & House, Jim Wilson - Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, Commission members (Click to enlarge)
Adams - Franklin House -second interpretive marker site
Click to Englarge
Marker erected at Wall and Main Streets, downtown Deadwood, across from the Bullock Hotel