Jews, as a community, have been an integral part of Natchez, Mississippi life for over 163 years. Natchez Jews have been mayors, deputy sheriffs, merchants, professionals and even a Mississippi State Beauty Queen.
The marker dedicated 5/06/06 reads:
Temple B’Nai Israel
Jewish Americans have been part of Mississippi’s economic, social and political life since the 1780’s. In 1843, the Jewish community of Natchez grew large enough to organize and sustain the state’s first permanent religious congregation, Temple B’Nai Israel (Children of Israel). In 1867 the congregation purchased property on Washington and Commerce Streets, building its permanent synagogue in 1872. Temple B’Nai Israel became a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1873. The original building burned in 1903. The present structure was quickly built in 1905 with financial support from both the Jewish and Christian communities of Natchez